The Revolution is Not a Dinner Party

It's Just Lunch....or IS IT??

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Paging all Cardinals

Even though I'm a Jew, I've always been fascinated by the Pope, the Catholic Church, and its mysteries. We Jews are a faith based on tradition and ritual, so Catholicism always made more sense to me than those insane, uppity Protestants. I mean, what part of "one true church" don't you people understand.

Anyway, I know the Pope is profoundly important to a lot of people, and I've always though he seemed like a good guy. Here's a great travel article by a woman who retraces John Paul's years as an avid skier in the Tatra Mountains in Poland. So, what I'm trying to say is I have a lot of respect for people's faith and a lot of respect for the current Pope as a man. I'll try not to be too flippant here.

In case you haven't heard, he's not doing too well. Here's a review of what happens in the event of his death. I'm actually really fascinated about how this selection is going to go down in the internet/media age. I assume there will be live webcams at the Vatican checking for white smoke. I assume the media will make a mockery of the process. I hope there's no public backstabbing or gossip. There are very few secrets left in the world, why not keep one or two around just for irrationality's sake?

P.S. All you legal eagles can find the complete Universi Dominici Gregis (the current rules governing Pope selection) here. At least rhetorically, the preface strikes an interesting balance between the need for clear election rules and the dogma that the Pope is chosen by God.

P.P.S. Here's a blog from Belgium that seems to be "in the loop" Although my Walloon is not what it used to be.

P.P.P.S Here's a website by a US Lawyer with all sorts of information on the papal selection process.

2 Comments:

At 11:22 PM, Blogger Damon Agnos said...

i encourage everyone to read the universi dominici gregis all the way through. it provides a background and texture without which one cannot truly appreciate the process of papal selection.

 
At 12:29 AM, Blogger JS said...

I know...that rule 78, regarding simony, step back!...that is some WACK STUFF YO.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home