The Revolution is Not a Dinner Party

It's Just Lunch....or IS IT??

Friday, December 17, 2004

Google and me

Back before the internet ruled the world I got kicked out of my lunch table in high school because I said that I though I was the only person with my first and last name in the world. The girls I ate with thought this was presumptuous and rude. Now that I look back, I'm pretty sure that's how I want to remember the incident. I probably said something embarrassing or did something embarrassing like drop a pencil under the table to look up a girl's skirt.

Flash forward to the present. I'm still pretty sure I'm still the only person with my name in the world (I'll explain why some other time, basically my father is from a long line of Zoroastrian priests, so there). I'm pretty happy with my google presence...it fluctuates between 4 or 5 permanent links and maybe 3 or 4 more that pop up every now and then, all of which are respectable. Mike Oliver added a new one this week by posting the names of all his friends on his blog. I think that's cool.

The freaky thing for me is that I just realized all I have to do is type my name on this page in this message right now and it will become part of my google pedigree. I've noticed that "jsanjana" is showing up a bunch now. That's cool. I just can't bring myself to corrupt my austere and somewhat ghost-like google presence with this blog (which I've noticed- I'm sorry- has devolved into serious of profanity-laced diatribes). Call it cold feet, sound judgment, whatever....those of us with a "unique" name bare a constant google burden. As much as I like having a one-in-the-world name, sometimes I pine to be just another David Cohen or Chris Smith.

I'm not naive enough to think that this blog isn't part of my "file" forever, but I like having less than 10 webpages in the world with my name on them...it makes me feel like I can pack up and go live off the grid someday.

1 Comments:

At 6:46 PM, Blogger JS said...

Rachel, somebody actually came to this site after googling "Rachel Natelson"...weird, eh?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home